Leads, directs, and motivates a technical staff comprised of engineers, technicians, design/drafters and project managers in the design, procurement, installation, maintenance and repair of telecommunication systems and services with emphasis on microwave, fiber optic, land mobile radio, wide area networks, and large scale energy management systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises engineers, technicians, design/drafters, and project managers to design, build, and maintain telecommunication systems.
- Supervises collective bargaining unit employees by administering and following the collective bargaining agreements for field operations.
- Develops and tracks capital and operational budgets and accounts for budget variances.
- Reviews and approves communication design solutions and project plans in support of projects.
- Develops and reviews engineering, equipment, and installation standards.
- Interacts with other departments to determine their requirements and to understand their perceived levels of customer service.
- Provides project management for complex or special projects and provides technical support for field crews and engineers.
- Ensures capacity planning and R&D are addressed as necessary.
- Ensures engineering documentation to maintain and operate the telecommunications systems and facilities.
- Interacts with vendors to review and evaluate technical product offerings and develops vendor RFP’s and RFQ’s.
- Communicate well with other departments and employees to provide prompt and courteous customer service.
- Ensures all compliance aspects of position are known and followed; understands and complies with all policies, codes and regulations applicable to position and company.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
Demonstrated knowledge of telecommunications concepts principles, standards, and procedures. Demonstrated experience with or training in team management. Demonstrated time management, organizational, oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
Equipment and Applications:
A working knowledge of PCs, word processing, spreadsheet and database software, and enterprise software business systems.
This position is regulated by the Department of Transportation (DOT) under the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA). Any applicant/employee who will perform on a pipeline, an operating, maintenance, or emergency response function regulated by Part 192, 193, or 195, will be subject to drug and alcohol testing under the Company’s PHMSA drug and alcohol testing programs. Any employment, transfer, or promotion offer made for this position is contingent upon taking and passing a drug test prior to the commencement of the new role. If an applicant/employee fails the drug test, any offer of employment, transfer, or promotion will be revoked.
The ideal candidate will: possess a Bachelor’s of Science in Electrical Engineering, will have 8-10 years of experience working in the Telecom Engineering capacity at an Electric Utility, have 2-3 years of Telecom Engineering supervisory experience, managing engineers and technicians. Experience and expertise will primarily focus on the design, procurement, installation, maintenance and repair of telecommunication systems and services with emphasis on microwave, fiber optic, land mobile radio, wide area networks, and large scale energy management systems.
Cellular experience is not considered relevant experience for this position.
IDEAL CANDIDATE SHOULD HAVE WORKED FOR THE FOLLOWING COMPANY(IES):
Electric utility company experience in the Telecom Engineering profession.